Wednesday 24 June 2009

Preparation for A2

Representation

In my magazine I represent rock music fans. I have tried to show that through pictures, colours and layout. Using photographs I have shown what kind of clothes they wear, what kind of gigs they are attending and how they look like. By looking at these photographs we can notice that the majority of people are young people especially in the picture of the crowd at the concert. I wanted to represent social group similar to my age, however it doesn't mean that older people are not rock music fans. Unlike my magazine, Rolling Stone (rock magazine) is trying to represent every rock fan without considering the age. Except the age of the social group I did not focus on any particular ethnic groups, therefore I think that my magazine will be suitable for males and females and all ethnic groups as long as they like rock and metal music.

In my magazine, the black colour is domineering because it is the most popular colour in rock social group therefore I thought that this colour will successfully represent the social group that I have chosen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Institution

As my magazine is mainly targeted at young audience, the best place to distribute the magazine is of course college or school.
I think that the company that might distribute my magazine would be a small independent distribution company such as Campus Connect Inc.

Campus Connect Inc has been delivering magazines and putting up posters to the college market since 1997. The company’s president, Eric Tiettmeyer, started Student Traveler Magazine out of his dorm room at UC Irvine in Southern California. Student Traveler was hand delivered to college campuses throughout Southern California — to save the high cost of postage and to make sure every copy was picked up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to design a magazine front cover and a double page spread, I had to do a research on some professional magazines. The forms and conventions I have looked at:
- layout
- style and form of writing
- colours
- type of pictures
- the most popular topics

I was working on Apple iMac and I was using Adobe Photoshop Elements in order to design and produce my front cover and double page spread, however before I have started to design it, I had to have my own photographs and therefore I have used a camera to take some photographs.

Magazine is about researching, planning and putting things into the right places. From the first minute of producing a magazine I had to be creative because i had to decide on layout and pictures and what goes where in order for the front cover to be attractive. the choice of colours also gave me the chance to be creative because if colours are not well chosen they will not work well together, therefore I had to chose suitable colours in order to make the magazine enjoyable to read.

No comments: